How to use the Recirculation Module (a.k.a Read More) on your articles
The Recirculation Module allows you to add a set of "Read More" links to the bottom of your articles. This allows users follow links to related articles, encouraging more clicks and longer sessions.
Throughout the CMS admin area and on the user facing page this will be called "Read More". The only place you will see Recirculation Module is in this doc and your analytics.
Note that the recirculation module is separate from 'Related Articles', which are links below the summary on an article card in the timeline.
The recirculation module appears at the bottom of an article, below any boxouts or tags and above comments if you have them. It contains a title and several cards as shown in the image below. The title is hidden if there are no articles cards below. Clicking on an article card will link you to that article.
An article card can be styled in different ways depending on your theme. They contain several different pieces of information:
- A title - if set
- A standfirst - if set and the setting is turned on
- An image - if set
- A section - if set
- An author - if set
The Recirculation Module settings are in Pugpig Express under the Read More heading. To enable simply select any Sort option other than "Off".
There are 4 options for how to sort a given article's reciruclation module:
- Off - No recirculation module will appear on the page.
- Show next X articles from the collection - The next X articles that follow a given article, in the first collection it was put in, will appear in the recirculation module. If an article is near the bottom of a collection then articles from the top will show.
- Only include custom selected articles from the Read More box on the article - Only read more articles, explicitly set on an article, will appear in the recirculation module.
- Include custom articles and fill with next articles in collection if less than X - Read more articles explicitly set on a given article will appear in the recirculation module. If there are less than X articles the next articles that follow the given article, in the first collection it was put in, will appear until there are X articles in the recirculation module.
The text that appears at the top of the recirculation module. This identifies to the user that the content is not part of the article. The default text is Read More.
Whether to show an article standfirst on the article card.
The number of articles to show in the recirculation module. This value corresponds to X above.
Option 2 or 4 of the sort settings must be set for article settings to appear on an edit article page. The article settings can be found under the Read More box.
Here any article can be searched and selected to be added to the given articles recirculation module. However only articles in the first collection, the given article was put in, will appear. The order here will also dictate the order on the HTML page.