Setting up Apple News
What is Apple News?
Apple News is an iOS app news aggregator developed by Apple. Users can read articles, created by publishers, about a variety of topics.
How to set up Apple News to publish content
1. Set up a channel for Apple News.
The channel requires 3 example articles to be created before submission. These can either be created through the iCloud account or through the Wordpress plugin.
If submitting articles through the Wordpress plugin (Publish to Apple News), you will need the following:
- Channel name (exact match),
- Channel ID,
- API key and
- App secret
Creating articles in Publish to Apple News plugin
1. Select Settings > Apple News*
*If you don't see the Apple News option available raise a support ticket and we'll switch on the plugin.
2. Add Channel name, Channel ID, API Key and App secret to Apple News settings. Configure other settings here as required. Remember to save your details somewhere other than in your Express site.
#<Your Channel> endpoint: https://news-api.apple.com channel_id: <Your Channel ID> key: <Your API Key ID> secret: <Your API Key Secret>
(Note: You can find the above info in iCloud News Publisher > Settings > Connect CMS > API Key)
3. Select your publish preferences from the following options:
- Automatically publish to Apple News
- Automatically update Apple News
- Asynchronously publish to Apple News
If you prefer to handpick what you publish to Apple News we recommend setting these options to No.
4. Select theme for articles or create custom theme
5. Create 3 articles in Express and publish to Apple News. When you go to the Apple News tab in the left menu you will see all the Articles you have added. If you are not using auto-publish, you can manually publish the articles here by hovering on the Article title and clicking 'Publish'.
6. Test the News url provided by opening the link on a supported iOS device
Submitting Apple News channel
Once three articles have been created and tested, you can submit your channel for review through the iCloud account.